Friday, August 29, 2008

Labor Daybor (A Blatant Theft)



Who caught our final preseason game against the Jets? I, was unable to, as I was knee deep in a fantasy draft. Not to mention Heineken cans as well. I was able to catch some of the pre-game show on 94.1 WSYP, and now I am doing a little catch up reading. But here are some things that I have heard that pertain to last nights game, and just some random news from around that league.

Lets go Eagles first. Because we all know that they are really what matters!

The first cut is the deepest. While driving to draft my championship caliber fantasy team, there were 2 commentators were discussing being cut for the first time, and how nerve racking it was. I myself have been cut (Junior High Basketball), and I took it pretty hard. They continued on about how players savor the last moments on the team, and they put into a perspective that I had never really put too much thought into. Pro athletes, for the most part have been immersed in their sport since childhood. Guys grew up playing football in Pop Warner, High School, College, and the pinnacle (NFL). I can't even imagine how nervous the guys that played last night are right now. They are hoping that they don't get that call. So, to all the Eagles players that are praying to avoid those final 22 cuts, this ones for you!

In last nights 27-20 loss to the Jets Kevin Kolb received top marks for his starting performance. The Eagles blogosphere was pleaseed with his performance too, and suggested that we will be in good hands when he takes the reigns. Jerome McDougle is on the bubble, be remains confident. Two years ago I was lobbying the Eagles to cut ties with under-performing defensive end, but he has shown during training camp that he can be an effective pass rusher. I've changed my tune about him, and think he has earned his spot. Besides, I wouldn't want to see him lining up as an NFC East rival. Tony Hunt was under the microscope last night as well. Some see the glass as half empty. I have been harping on this topic a lot lately. He's not a fullback, and it saddens me to think that he will be picked up off of waivers by another team. He should be the heir apparent to Correll. DeSean Jackson got the night off. I read an article yesterday about how the Eagles are making a concerted effort to prevent him from getting a big head. Good job coach, sitting him last night with all the starters really put him in his place!

This just in, Eagles trim roster to 67.

In news around the league:

L.A. will be the home of an NFL franchise in 2009. The possibility of franchise moving to the City of Angels bothers to no end. Yeah, of course it's a huge market, but it's a FAIR WEATHER FAN city. People go to sporting events to be seen, and make some headlines. There aren't really a loyal fan base. Unless you are winning. Who's going to be their official A-lister? The Lakers have Nicholson. The Dodgers have Milano (insert prrring sound effect). Here's my suggestion. The Rams relocated to St. Louis, and the Raiders went back to Oakland in 1995, due in part to the lack of attendance. This left the second largest TV market void of an NFL team. That's not my problem. A team moving to Los Angeles is going to be a fab, because it's a new and getting a lot of publicity. Then, when all the hype begins to dispearse, so will the fan base. History has a tendency to repeat itself.

LenWhale is throwing his hat in the ring for Hater of the Year. These not really anything to say about this. I just saw that headline, and found it amusing.

That Carson Palmer had better keeps his hands off my 85! I don't know if this is true, or not. I do know that I love Chad's (dare I say it) SHENANIGANS!!!! Dude may be facing a season ending shoulder injury, and he's having his name legally changed. He's keeping it Dade fo' sho'.

Adam "Don't Call Me Pacman" Jones loooooooves Hooters, but he better not love it too much.

That's all we have time for today. You stay classy, and enjoy your labor dabor weekend.

GO BIRDS!!!

No comments: