Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Let's not get too excited


In an interview with NFL Total Access Chad Johnson expressed an interest in being traded again. I have shared my sentiment on this topic in previous bloggage, but being that there hasn't been a whole lot to talk about I might as well rehash the subject.

Any time big guy. As an Eagles fan I would personal welcome your hi jinx, and talent with open arms. I am willing to overlook any possible locker room issues that you may have. Perhaps my desire for an established #1 has clouded my judgement, but I don't think that we would be repeating history by acquiring, "Ocho Cinco". I think the Cincy would not lose all that much by parting ways with Johnson. They still have T.J. and Chris Henry. Inevitably one of the three of these guys is going to move on to greener pastures. If the Bengals were to trade Johnson they would free up cap space (Not that they need to). They are are currently 18 million under. They could use that additional dinero to secure T.J. and Chris' futures. The money could also be used to address their defensive problems. The Bungles front seven were in shambles. Could the Birds propose a deal that Cincinnati couldn't pass up?
I don't want to get my hopes up like I did over the Fitzgerald rumors. Singing Chad Johnson might break the proverbial bank. Not that my opinion is respected, or heard for that matter, but I think that the Bengals would ask for more than we are willing to give up, if they are even willing to move him at all. At the present time the Eagles have draft picks, and Lito Sheppard as their best bargaining chips. Barring some sort of three way deal I do not imagine that Lito Sheppard would be a part of any deal. The Bengals have a young, and talented secondary. I don't think that the Bengals will look at trade offers that address their issues at in the front 7 until after the draft. The Bengals have some young linebackers that need to get healthy, and eliminate their off-field problems. If they can do that, then they can use the draft to strengthen the position. On the Eagles end, everything that I have read, or been told indicates that Stewart Bradley, Omar Gaither, Chris Gocong, Akeem Jordan, and Pago Togafau are the Linebackers of the future in Philly. The Bengals' defensive line looks like their linebackers, in that they have a ton of youth. They will probably look to get an impact player in the draft. The mock draft that I stalk, has them picking Glenn Dorsey. The Eagles appear to be happy with the current roster as well.
So it looks that at the present time a deal for Chad Johnson would involve draft picks, and probably more than the Eagles are willing to give up, and I don't know if a deal is possible. Do not worry my friends. The draft could change the entire complexion of this scenario, and make it a reality.

What's your take? Any ideas?

Eagles hold a personal workout for Vanderbilt receiver Earl Bennett. According to the Philadelphia Inquirer he is a strong second round choice, but here's the catch. Denver is interested in Bennett too. Would the Birds trade up in rd. 2 to get him, or take him with the 19th overall pick? I hope that they don't take him number 19.

1 comment:

Cotter said...

I wouldn't worry much about Bennet man, the Eagles are probably just going to take another QB in the 1st round anyway.